Many are probably already familiar with manual toothbrushes made of bamboo. In the following we would like to introduce you to the advantages and facts of bamboo in dental care to make you more familiar with this new topic.
Fun fact: botanically, bamboo is not a woody plant, but a woody grass from the Poaceae family.
The consumption of brush heads and toothbrushes
Dentists recommend changing the tip of a toothbrush every 2-3 months. Due to the 2 times daily use, signs of wear and tear occur and the cleaning performance decreases over time. Of course, this also applies to manual manual toothbrushes, where you can usually not even change the brush head.
A little tip: With our manual toothbrushes , you can easily change the attachment without having to buy a completely new toothbrush straight away.
Studies show that in Germany more than 145 million toothbrushes and attachments are thrown away every year. Unfortunately, the majority of it is plastic, which often ends up in the sea and can decompose there into dangerous microplastics.
There are so many different types of wood, why do we choose bamboo?
1. Bamboo grows back extremely quickly. Depending on the species, bamboo can grow up to 91 cm per day. For comparison, oak trees grow an average of just 35 cm per year, and only 0.096 cm per day.
2. As long as the bamboo has been properly processed and sanded down, the mouthfeel is pleasant, unlike other types of wood, and you can hardly "taste" the bamboo. Especially in combination with toothpaste you get used to the feeling within a week. In our production, we make sure that the brush heads have been processed to a high standard in order to rule out an unpleasant taste.
3. The disposal of bamboo is significantly more environmentally friendly than that of plastic. Our bamboo brush heads can be easily composted like organic waste and, unlike plastic attachments, are biodegradable. Please remove the bristles first.
4. The sonic toothbrushes with plastic attachments can cause unpleasant tooth irritation if the strongly vibrating neck of the attachment accidentally comes into contact with the teeth while brushing your teeth. Bamboo, on the other hand, ensures that these vibrations are better dampened, and therefore no longer pose a problem if you come across your teeth with your neck.
5. The market for electric toothbrushes with attachments mostly made of bamboo is still very small and is guaranteed to attract curious looks in every bathroom. So you can tell your fellow human beings about this turning point and fascinate them. Environmental protection should be an important issue for everyone.
The right disposal
Before disposing of the brush heads in the organic waste, please refer to your local waste separation regulations and remove the bristles from the attachment. You can find more information here .